Let’s just say I hadn’t eaten french fries for about 10 years, and after I was pregnant they were basically the only thing I could possibly imagine myself eating without getting sick. I would not recommend trying to eat french fries after a 10 year hiatus.
These zucchini fries will be your friend, and won’t try to take you down, unlike their fried potato counterparts.
My husband also enjoyed them, which is saying a lot since he’s a self proclaimed carnivore who, “doesn’t eat green stuff.”
Poor guy doesn’t even know my mission in life is to feed him at least one green thing every day. I kinda sorta like him a whole lot, so I’m trying to keep him around.
I dipped mine in some leftover pizza sauce. Recipe coming at you tomorrow!
- 1 zucchini squash
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- Wash your zucchini well. You want to get it really clean because you won’t be peeling it. When you’re done washing it, pat it dry.
- Cut each end off and cut into strips about 1/3 inch thick. Place the strips into a large Ziploc bag and add the flour and salt. Shake to coat.
- In a shallow dish, combine the bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, and Italian seasoning. Stir to combine. In another small bowl, combine the egg and water and whisk until smooth.
- Place a wire cooling rack over a baking sheet. Take your coated zucchini strips and dip them into the egg mixture and then into the bread crumb mixture. Once coated, place on cooling rack. Make sure none of the strips are touching. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cooking time may vary according to how thick your strips are.