The most magical of the fruits.
You guys are probably way too mature to get that joke.
Unfortunately, I’m sitting here giggling to myself and singing that song over and over in my head.
Great. Now it’s stuck in there.
These are hands down the best baked beans in the history of the entire world.
I mean do you see the bacon on there?
Bacon makes everything better just by being around.
I automatically feel like a better person just by being in the proximity of bacon.
This recipe was given to me by a really great friend while we lived in California. She received it from a man who is apparently the BBQ master.
After trying this recipe I totally believe it.
- 1 lb. package bacon
- 1/2 Medium onion, diced
- 1/2 Bell pepper, diced
- 1 - 2 Jalapeno Peppers, diced (seeding is optional)
- 1 (55 oz.) can Original Bush's Baked Beans
- 1 (8 oz.) can of pineapple chunks, drained
- 1 Cup Brown Sugar, packed
- 1 Cup ketchup
- 1/2 - 1 Tablespoon dry (ground) mustard
- Take 6-8 pieces of bacon from the package and cut into 1/2 inch squares. Sauté bacon pieces in fry pan until crispy and remove from pan with a slotted spoon. Take remaining strips of bacon and fry them just until the fat has been rendered then remove to a paper towel to let the grease drain.
- In the same pan, sauté onion, bell pepper and jalapeño pepper in bacon grease until tender.
- In a large mixing bowl combine beans, pineapple, brown sugar, ketchup and dry mustard. Stir in 1/2 inch bacon pieces and sauted vegetables. Pour into a 9x13 or a deep 9X9 aluminum baking pan. (While mixing if things look dry, add additional ketchup 1/4 -1/2 cup at a time).
- Lay the rendered bacon strips across the top and place in a 220-250° F smoker for 2 1/2 - 3 hours (make sure temperature of the baked beans reaches 160° ) OR place in a 350° F oven and bake for 1 hour.
With the Jalapeno pepper and the dry mustard these beans have the potential for some MAJOR heat. CAUTION should be exercised when feeding these beans to small children and/or the elderly.
You know a recipe is great when it comes with a disclaimer attached.