Not everything that I bake has to be totally
Only like 99.3% of it.
Those odds could be worse.
These banana muffins are pretty healthy and totally bomb. I don’t mind feeding them to Baby girl for breakfast! Along with her cocoa puffs and sugar yogurt.
Kinda. Sometimes you just gotta stuff your kids with stuff they’ll actually eat so they don’t starve themselves to death.
They live to see another day where we can try harder to stuff green things down their throats.
Baby Girl is always extremely suspicious of new foods. The other night I grilled bacon on some kebabs, and she had never seen bacon grilled before, so she took the tiniest bite and chewed it around a little bit and SPIT IT OUT. She SPIT BACON OUT.
I can forgive a lot of things, but spitting out bacon is pretty high up there on the list of unforgiveable acts.
Luckily she’s cute. She could get away with murder.
Or spitting out bacon.
I really like the combination of whole wheat flour and bananas because the flour takes on a rustic, almost nutty flavor that pairs REALLY well with bananas.
Then I added oatmeal and chocolate chips because I’m a texture girl and that sounded awesome. I like how oatmeal adds body to baked goods. Plus it’s good for you, so there’s that.
And, like… chocolate. You know?
Muffins are ridiculously easy to whip up and bake. They really don’t take that much time, and they are an easy breakfast to grab and go.
If you want some other ideas of some muffins that would make awesome breakfasts, I have these AWESOME bran muffins , or these blackberry sour cream muffins. They are not quite as healthy but REALLY REALLY REALLY good. I recently posted a blueberry muffin with brown sugar streusel that is just mind-blowing.
Did I mention I like muffins?
In fact, I am totally craving those bran muffins I mentioned before…
I’m so pregnant.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups bananas, mashed
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided (reserve 1/2 cup to sprinkle over top of muffins)
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Prepare a muffin tin by lining with cupcake liners or spraying with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl mix together the dry ingredients (flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon).
- In a separate medium sized bowl, mix together the wet ingredients (mashed bananas, eggs, melted butter and vanilla).
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and stir just until moistened. Add 1 cup of mini chocolate chips and mix until the chocolate chips are spread evenly throughout the batter.
- Pour into prepared muffin tins and sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup of mini chocolate chips over the batter.
- Bake in preheated oven for 13-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Seriously, who craves a bran muffin? Weird pregnant ladies, that’s who.