We had our blue and gold banquet last week, and so to celebrate the occasion I made these super yummy cupcakes.
I thought about dying the actual cake gold or blue, but if I’m being completely honest with you, different colored cakes totally freak me out.
I think that’s why I have such a hard time with red velvet. I know that it’s supposed to taste like chocolate, but I swear to you, all I can taste is chemicals from the food coloring. I swear it.
I know it’s totally all in my head, but I really just can’t get past it.
Now at the grocery store I’m seeing blue velvet and purple velvet and orange and all of this craziness. It’s anarchy.
So there went that idea, and I decided nothing makes a better backdrop than classic white.
These were DELICIOUS, and the frosting looks totally cool if I may say so myself.
- 1 box white cake mix
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 large egg whites
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Place cupcake liners in cupcake pans.
- In a large bowl, whisk together cake mix, flour, sugar and salt. Add remaining ingredients and beat with hand mixer for 2 minutes, or until well blended. Spoon into prepared cupcake tins until about 3/4 full. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Is there any better way to celebrate?