Fun fact: eating poppy seeds can make you fail a drug test.
I always thought it was just a rumor until I watched a Mythbusters episode about it, and it’s totally true!
(Because everything we see on TV is totally true).
Seriously though, guys. I totally believe it. Plus, if we can’t believe the Mythbusters than who can be trusted?! WHO?!
I remember in high school we all used to tease each other about eating poppy seeds when we would be drug tested by the athletic department.
But assuming the worst I was always careful about not consuming ANYTYHING with poppy seeds leading up to the big day. You know… just in case. Everything bagel? No thank you. Poppy Seed Cake?
…. Okay maybe just a small piece.
Okay! I was careful about not consuming MOST things with poppy seeds leading up to the big day.
I can’t imagine what I would have done with a positive reading on one of those things. The closest I’ve ever come to even seeing drugs is eating a crap ton of this poppy seed cake **WHICH ARE NOT DRUGS**.
Oh and that one time my family was down in Honduras and one of the locals gave Famous Julie a necklace with a tiny wooden marijuana leaf pendant on it. She wore it proudly until one of us told her what it was.
Two days later. (Sorry, Mom!)
We’re super considerate and polite like that.
We just wanted everyone to see how chill our mom is. That’s all.
Anyway, this poppy seed cake is super awesome and really easy. You are basically just trashing up a boxed yellow cake mix and throwing some poppy seeds in there. It is totally quick to throw together, crazy moist and gorgeous!
Also, a cool little tip for you: If you microwave the cream cheese frosting it becomes pourable! You can check it out in the video below:
- 1 boxed yellow cake mix
- 1 small instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup poppy seeds
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
- 5 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 1/2 - 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Add all of the ingredients to the bowl of an electric mixer and beat together until completely combined. Pour into a well greased bundt pan and bake in the preheated oven for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool in the bundt pan for 15 minutes before turning out.
- Whip all ingredients together until smooth.
- If you want it pourable, spoon into a microwave safe bowl and microwave in small increments until you get a pourable consistency. Pour over top of cooled cake. Sprinkle top of cake with additional poppy seeds if desired.
- I microwaved my cream cheese frosting for 30 total seconds on 80% power, but all microwaves are different. For example: mine is a total wuss
Side note: Every time I write poppy seed I accidentally write poopy seed. This cake would only be like half as appetizing if it were actually called poopy seed cake.
You like what you see? You’ll love these too!