If you are anything like my friends and family, you have tomatoes bursting out of your garden around this time of year.
If you are anything like me you are insanely jealous.
Someday I’ll have a garden.
And grass. And no weeds.
BUT, if you are like the first people I mentioned, then this recipe is going to use up a whole lotta those tomatoes that are such a huge problem for you nowadays! (poor baby)
I got this recipe from Pioneer Woman (I LOOOOOVVEEE HER) a couple years ago and it’s been a staple in my house ever since.
I have a hard time convincing myself that this is a “salsa”-esque dish because in my house it is more of a condiment than anything.
Even my husband who isn’t a huge fan of tomatoes uses this, because what you will notice looking at these pictures is that it isn’t just a bowl full of chopped tomatoes with a few other ingredients. It is a whole bunch of veggie goodness mixed all together to make the ultimate in condiment goodness.
This stuff is FFFFFREEEESSSSHHH. You could probably dump it on year-old freeze dried taquitos and they would still be awesome.
I love working in the yard and in the garden. I like to work in the dirt and make beautiful things.
Every time I am out working in my yard (it’s been a while, peeps) Baby Girl just can’t help herself. She HAS TO climb on me.
Everything I do I have to do with a toddler wrapped around my torso and neck.
I mean don’t get me wrong, she is the greatest accessory ever…. but it makes gardening a little more difficult than one might think.
It’s okay, in a few years she’ll be out there “helping” me.
That’s what we have kids for, right?
- (4) roma tomatoes, chopped
- (1 bunch) cilantro, chopped
- (1/2 large) red onion, finely chopped
- (1) jalapeno peppers, minced
- the juice of (1) lime
- salt and pepper, to taste
- There are technically no measurements in the real recipe because you can pretty much make this how you want to. I gave you my measurements in ( ) but if you want more jalapeños or less red onion, you go for it my friend! This is all about you and your specific tastes. I want you to feel like a master in the kitchen!
Just remember, if you are making this for only a few people and have to save it in the fridge, the peppers will make the mixture hotter as they sit.
So don’t go too crazy. Unless you like getting your face melted off. Then by all means.