Not only have I survived… I am absolutely in love with it.
Seriously, being a mom is the coolest thing in the world.
So, for all of my friends out there who are about to embark on the journey of becoming a parent, here are my four favorite things that got me through the (confusing) first month.
1. Carseat Cover
Yeah, I know. She’s pretty dang awesome. Hopefully I’m that cool someday.
For the very few times that I took baby girl out and about the first month, I was SOOOO thankful to be able to cover her up and protect her from crazy people.
I swear, people see a baby, and their first instinct is to immediately grab it. It’s kind of sweet how happy people are when they see a baby, but I became a MAJOR germaphobe as soon as I gave birth. I wasn’t about to let anyone put their grubby hands all over her and get her sick.
This cover protects her from all the germ infested crazies, and keeps her nice and warm.
2. Petunia Picklebottom Diaper Bag
This pattern has been discontinued now unfortunately, but they have all sorts of KILLER patterns still available. The important part about this bag is the model.
Petunia Picklebottom makes all sorts of different diaper bags, but this model is called the City Carryall, and it is the best.
It has everything I was looking for in a diaper bag:
1. Pockets for DAAAAYYYYZZZZZZ – Seriously, this bad boy has tons of pockets for all of baby’s (and your) necessities.
2. Waterproof interior – Things spill.
3. Wipeable exterior – Again… Things spill.
4. Messenger strap – It’s just easier for me to carry it messenger style, but (BONUS) I also have the option to carry it on my shoulder. Love.
5. Not too big – I was told that no matter what size my diaper bag was, I was going to fill it. I’m SO glad I didn’t get a ginormous diaper bag, because whoever told me that (probably my mom) was totally right (shocker). I WOULD fill it, and my shoulder WOULD fall off. I feel like this diaper bag is the perfect size.
6. Zippered Top – I can’t even tell you how many times this has been accidentally knocked over but luckily for me, the top zips closed and everything stays inside.
7. Changing Station – The front of this gorgeous bag zips down, folds out, and becomes a changing pad. It has saved my life on multiple occasions. (BONUS: the changing pad is detachable which comes in handy ALL. THE. TIME.)
8. Attaches to the stroller – This bag is one of the few petunia pickle bottom models that attaches to the handle of your stroller. The stroller straps are sold separately, but I 100% recommend them.
Wow. I was looking for a lot of things with my diaper bag.
The only downside to these bags is that they can be quite expensive. BUT… every once in a while, they go on a massive sale. I got mine for 50% off and it was worth EVERY. PENNY.
3. Oxi Clean
Babies = stains.
My sweet girl has had her fair share of opportunities to stain her clothing… but because of this magical powder, she has yet to stain a single thing.
After any accidents, I’m quick to get her clothes soaking in Oxi Clean. They soak for a couple of days, and then I put them in the wash with the rest of her laundry.
Babies no longer = stains.
4. Blooming Bath
All the other baths I ever found were hard plastic with the netting that you set the baby into.
This bath is so soft for the baby to sit in, and it’s cute to boot!
They have five colors available: blue, green, pink, yellow and ivory.
I opted for the ivory because it’s gender neutral and I plan to use it for all of my kiddos.
The downside is this color has the highest stain potential… Another reason I have fallen in love with #3 on this list. My blooming bath is still bright … ivory.
With all the baby products on the market I know how overwhelming it can be. Trust me, I’m still in the midst of it all. Hopefully this list will help those friends and readers of mine that are about to become parents feel a little better prepared.
Expecting parents, just know….
Shiz is about to get real.