Happy Monday, peeps!
It’s a good day to whip out a nice Chinese recipe.
I feel like the Honey Walnut Shrimp is a very westernized “Chinese” dish.
But, I’m not going to complain for one second about it, because, seriously. Have you ever had it?!
It’s one of my favorites! And it’s SOOOO much better when it’s coming out of your kitchen instead of Panda Express’.
The shrimp is dipped in a batter and lightly fried to give it a perfect crunchy exterior while keeping a plump interior. The walnuts add another soft crunch and it’s all coated in a honey and sweetened condensed milk mixture. It is DIVINE. You’re going to love it.
You always know when Mr. T has previously been out of town because I basically O.D. on shell fish.
I also purposely leave my room dirty, so if a murderer comes to get Baby Girl or I, they’ll just trip on all the crap on my floor and die first.
Just trying to even out the playing field a little bit.
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup walnut halves
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 teaspoons honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sweetened condensed milk
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium/high heat.
- In a small saucepan heat 1/2 cup water over medium heat until boiling. Add 1/2 cup sugar and stir continually until golden and thickened. Add the walnuts and mix to combine. Transfer to a piece of parchment paper to allow to cool.
- In a small bowl mix together mayonnaise, honey and sweetened condensed milk and set aside.
- Season shrimp with salt and pepper and then, one at a time, dip into the beaten egg, and then the cornstarch, coating liberally. Once all the shrimp is coated, add it 8-10 at a time to the heated oil. Fry until they are evenly golden brown and crispy. This should only take about 1 or 2 minutes on each side. Using a slotted spoon, remove shrimp from oil and allow to drain on a paper towel.
- In a large bowl, combine the fried, crispy shrimp, the honey mixture and the sugared walnuts. Toss to coat. Serve immediately while still warm.