How darling are these little cupcakes for Spring?
I love cupcakes and these cute little guys just make me extra happy because they would be DARLING for a St. Patrick’s Day fiesta.
I think I just invented something awesome.
An Irish/Mexican fusion holiday.
There would be so much drinking. And so many piñatas.
That’s probably not the greatest combination, but whatev.
Anyway… your kids will LOVE these little cupcakes.
The actual cake is almost like a funfetti style cake, but with FRUITY PEBBLES.
Seriously, I think I’d rather have a bunch of fruity pebbles in my cupcake batter than a bunch of sprinkles.
I don’t know! This is so hard!
Okay. Gun to my head… Fruity Pebbles.
I don’t know who cares enough about this to pull a gun on me, but in this hypothetical situation I think I have a lot more problems than sprinkles.
Also, I would suggest buying the real fruity pebbles, and not the generic kind that are in those huge awesome bags.
I know they seem like they are the same, especially after spending a couple of years at college where those giant bags of cereal are the only things you can afford for breakfast.
BUT. They are NOT the same. The real fruity pebbles are bigger and crispier. In fact, you can see the difference in the picture at the very bottom. The two cupcakes in the front have real fruity pebbles and the cupcakes in the back have the generic kind. They look like fruity pebble crumbs compared to the ones in the front!
And you GUYS. This buttercream is SILKY SMOOTH. It is seriously so ridiculously good. Ya’ll know of my unhealthy love for all things cream cheese frosting … but this Vanilla Buttercream and this Nutella frosting are changing my entire outlook on life.
- 1/2 cup salted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 1 2/3 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup Fruity Pebbles
- 1 1/2 cups salted butter, softened
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 Tablespoons vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Additional Fruity Pebbles for sprinkling over top
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Add butter, sugar and egg whites to the bowl of an electric mixer and beat on high for several minutes. Add milk, cake flour, baking powder, salt and vanilla and mix on high for several more minutes. Add fruity pebbles and mix until combined.
- Pour into a cupcake tin lined with cupcake liners until they are 2/3 full.
- Bake in preheated oven for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Add butter to the bowl of an electric mixer and whip until it's light and soft. Add powdered sugar and whip to combine. Add heavy cream, vanilla and salt and mix until completely combined.
- Frost cooled cupcakes with Vanilla buttercream and sprinkle leftover Fruity Pebbles over top.
FRUITY PEBBLE CRUMBS I TELL YOU.